Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Spring and Mt Diablo


I think I may be obsessing on changing my blog photo. I have changed it about 5 times in two days. I want a nice spring panoramic view of Mt. Diablo as seen from my back porch. Unfortunately, I don't have one, which is what the frame needs, and lately the skies have been too hazy to take a nice photo. Photoshop isn't that good, at least in my hands. However,I like this photo a lot.
It was an absolutely beautiful spring day, and on my porch, between the bricks, a thistle weed had sprung. I have thistle seed for "my" finches who visit this time of year, and apparently, one seed escaped their pecking and grew; this is a thistle among the thorns in the spring of 2010.
I have included a photo of the little baby morning dove who had hatched on my front porch this May. I felt like a giddy grandmother, checking the temperature around the porch every evening. She/he flew away a few days ago under the parents' watchful eye. I saw her/him in the trees a day later, with the parents still observing her/his movements.
From now on, all of the morning doves who come to my porch and appear the most intelligent and beautiful (or whatever other criteria I come up with) will be of course, my baby bird.

4 comments:

  1. To comment, you need to click on the underlined comment link and then, write in the box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also awaiting some birds to hatch from a nest that is just outside my back window.

    My wife and I had a shade that flipped onto the roof one windy day and we saw birds start to make a nest in the u-bend of the shade/curtain, so we put a brick on it so it stays curled onto the roof. My cats like watching the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a spectacular set of pictures. Mt. Diablo looks very peaceful and serene while the dove picture is perfectly framed. What a great start to this blog and I can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete