Saturday, October 23, 2010

What Makes a Good Day?

What makes a good day?

For me it is checking things off of the list and not adding adding more than I removed.  Not very impressive.  For the baseball game I am watching as I type, the stakes are higher.  Each team wants to win the National Division playoff.  A good day for them has high stakes.
I keep wondering if they ever did their homework, or read a book. What a silly thought.
Does it matter?
When I see someone shuffling through Safeway, I wonder if they ever read anything more than the labels on the canned and frozen goods.  Should it matter?
Is the curriculum I teach the students important for living in a world that is becoming more illiterate? 
I sincerely hope so, because I think the writers of the world are the some of the last people who really remind us of our humanity, both the good and the bad.  Kathy Moore told us a story the other day, that will stay with me the rest of my life.  We need those stories.
I think it is more important to have students learn how to live together, play nicely in the sandbox.  I see little evidence of people doing that in the real world and that is sad.
So what should make a good day for me?
It should be me setting a good example of how one should live in the world- in the grocery store, the competitive world of baseball and the workplace.
Maybe my checklist shouldn't matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment